Kakak's First School.. and Other Things

Been putting this off for far too long. Funny thing is, I am at one of my busiest moments (still).. yet at this particular thought I have this really strong urge. Alhamdulillah for that. It has been very unfortunate that I keep putting off something so important. Even my endless work is not as important as this, really. 


Kakak's First School

We didn't know what to expect from her really when we decided (since long before) to send her to school at 4 years. Technically she's just 3.5 years old with no experience of school nor friends. Didn't think she really understand the concept of school yet prior to registering her. The first surprise was the day we registered her. There were some friends there, because the ustazah had school holiday classes. So they there were, the kids sitting at the desk half doing work half playing when we were finalizing payments with ustazah. It was a working Friday, at about 9 am I think. She happily joins in, especially attracted to the toys on the table. And when it's all done and we were about to leave, she sort of refused to leave, having fun with new found friends. To which the ustazah said, why not stay here just to try for the day? And Kakak looked happy at the idea, we didn't have the heart to say no.

We left her one full day. Actually we had to go back to take an extra change of clothes, and upon reaching the school to send her clothes, she said.. 'Haa dah sampai ke.. alaa baru nak makan ngan kawan-kawan'. A good start huh? We were pleased.

She mentioned us leaving her for too long when we pick up but otherwise it was fine. Seems she had fun.

Until the next monday when she absolutely refused to go to school. Wailed and scream. The whole drama. Never seen her like that. And she was never able to explain why.

And so for a whole month it was a drama every morning. Some days I freeze my heart and send her anyway. And on some days she would resist the minute she wokes up, and right after bathing her she'd give her cute smile and say, "Sebenarnya kakak gurau je. Kakak memang nak pergi school.." The cutest. But those are just my lucky days. 

Mondays were the worse, obviously. But like today, in between crying in the car and listening to my story of a boy who resist school and end up kena langgar depan school after he tried to run (cruel story I know, huhu) she  suddenly switch from wailing to coolly 
succumbing to her fate of having to go to school. As in when we stop the car in front of her school she goes, Eh dah sampai ke, with no trace of sadness not resentment. Ishh... 4 year olds.

But what triggers my urge to write today was remembering the look on her face as I leave her at the school gate today. Super brave face trying to stop tears from falling but with a small half smile half sad look that says with great determination, "...I'll be okay." Super angelic. Subhanallah, how Allah gives His Rahmah and Nikmat through the angelic look of your children. Nothing beats that look. I must remember it always, now, at times when she's whining her wants, and later, when she's a grown up teenager sulking her needs. I must remember, that she was once that sweet-faced child, trying her best to do things.. just because I wish her to.


Choosing the School

Choosing her school ought to be a story on its own. There are so much to consider nowadays when choosing a school for a child. Be it its curriculum, its English or Arabic content, tahfiz or not. Tahfiz seems to be our main concern, but after looking over the choices, I felt it was a wish that can still wait, when I realized the one important factor more important than that. We decided that above all, regardless of the prestige or good name of a school, is the akhlak of the teachers. As a teacher, I know that this is where the value of education lies. Action speaks louder than words, I believe children especially, copy what a teacher does, as well as (if not more than), what a teacher says. Of course it was not an easy task. Its not fair to judge people base on one or two encounters, which is why I did solat istikharah just so I can trust my instincts. Other people was researching about programs best for their child, and there I was stalking the teachers though social networks. Heee.

Despite the ever growing numbers of new islamic kindergarten nowadays, one has to be careful. I knew of a famous islamic school nearby, who has a teacher who fully cover their aurah only in their classes of 6 year olds. Outside while dining, I saw her without tudung. And at other community meetings. Funny huh. You can teach nasyid songs, but how can you talk about akidah, the basics, to children convincingly when you don't (really) believe in it? And so during our school rounds, I tried to look for teachers yang betul-betul niat nak didik anak-anak penghayatan dan jiwa seorang muslim. Not because its a successful business nowadays, setting up islamic schools.

Alhamdulillah I found one ustazah who touched my heart, and so, with Kakak's permission, we chose the school.

Super soft spoken and occupies a calm demeanor, she's also so innocent! (or simply bad at maths, forgive me, but it was a mistake to her advantage) During my first visit, when I ask her about the school clothes, upon showing me the uniform, she also brought to me a school bag. An Ana Muslim bag with RM 49.90 tag. And said gently.. "Nanti kalau puan register boleh purchase this bag for 50% discount.. jadi RM 19.90" As an (avid) shopper, I gave her a quick stare and said "Errr.. more than 50% ni.." to which she gave me a sweet blank smile. The second time I went to the school, like 3 weeks later, she again take all the effort to walk across the room and bring me the RM 50 bag and said ever so softly, "Kalau puan nak purchase bag ni, ada 50% off.. RM 19.90" I was like, Are you serious? I am sold, girl! Haha, no, seriously. I found that so touching. Gahh, I probably would be so turned off if it happens elsewhere, but here, I feel safe, leaving my innocent and naive child to someone innocent as well.

She is the owner of this new branch (after teaching at another branch for four years, she opens up this new branch), you'd think she'd be more err.. insisting? More desperate to get new students?

The same thing happens to the fees. During the second visit to officially register, I realized that the fees is like RM 500 cheaper than we thought it was. How could I not realize it before? Because the ustazah did not insist on it, oh yes she explained all the fees, but never even once she said anything that tries to justify it, you know, like other kindies will go, Oh, ni mahal sikit sebab dah termasuk payment january, or registration mahal sikit sebab termasuk annual fees, or uniform or etc etc. And so I was left with the impression that it is almost as expansive as all the other kindies we checked out. Not that it matters because we were all ready to register anyway. I felt that she did not try to cheat me out of anything. Perhaps due to too-many encounters of people trying to sell things, it was a precious change.


Kakak's Delightful Progress

Will update this soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © A Place To Call Home 2010. Blogger Theme by NymFont.